Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
-Mark Twain

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Geneva - it's more than just the landscape

We’ve been really fortunate.

I’m not just saying that because I get to hang out in Geneva, Switzerland and stare out at some of the most beautiful landscape I’ve gotten the chance to gaze upon in my life. I’m talking about all of the people we’ve heard from the last week and a half. Leaders of all sorts of NGOs have come to talk with us, brainstorm with us and listen to us – about how to help affect some positive change in the world. This is pretty cool since a NGO is sort of like a non-profit organization working to better the world. Why are we in Geneva to listen to them? Since the UN Office in Geneva works with human rights, a lot of the NGOs are based here. This is important because what makes an NGO so special is that they have special permission to present documents (in a sense “lobby”) to the UN. So, it’s fairly powerful that we get to meet with these groups.

This program is pretty unique. I will hopefully finish the program completing a project for my Masters that will have made a difference in some small way, and without explaining what my project is right now, let me just say it’s going to be pretty awesome.

All my best to you! I hope you find my updates informational (sometimes) and characteristically “Kira-esque” (all the time) :)

Peace,
Kira

No comments: