Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
-Mark Twain

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Amsterdam Airport

Put yourself in the dead center of the Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport. You know the spot I'm talking about. Where most of the concourses converge and you can buy just about anything that you might want when in an airport. Now, build a mental picture of the environment around you. There are people with rolling luggage rushing to make their connections, families trying to keep everyone together while the kids talk excitedly about whatever's on their mind, business people are talking on call phones making plans, etc... you get the idea. I just got off the plane in Amsterdam and I am stunned. There are so many people walking around the terminal in front of me and it is remarkably quiet. It's amazing how loud the quiet felt to me. I remember feeling this way when I'd been out of the country before, but it's different to actually experience the quiet.

I should be in Geneva in about 3 hours! I've been traveling a long time and not sleeping nearly enough. The flight over the Atlantic was very smooth, but it was impossible to sleep. I tried drinking a glass of wine, but the uncomfortable seating arrangement was the deciding factor in the battle between rest and restlessness.

It sounds like the weather in SoDak was beautiful this weekend and that Jazz Fest was great (as usual!) I’m excited for the 3 weeks ahead, but I also think of all of you back home often!

Take care… and take a moment to vote in the current poll!

kc

No comments: