Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
-Mark Twain

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Dallas

If there were a special place in heaven for calculator nerds like me, I think someone might need to check my vital signs.

The last 4 days in Dallas were outstanding (or maybe even iNSPIRE-ing) for so many reasons. The best part about the outstanding experience I had is being able to say that I’m feeling more rejuvenated about teaching and more motivated to stretch myself pedagogically than I have in a long time. I attribute this to my colleagues and instructors at the training who were each incredibly talented, knowledgeable and intelligent. It was a bit of a scramble to get my flights worked out to make it into Geneva on time, but it was certainly worth the effort.

I’m including a couple pictures we took on the last day during presentations. I felt a little nerdy asking everyone to step in and pose with Dwight (my trusty bobble-headed companion) but they didn’t skip a beat getting into a group – thanks! (They also listened to me try and persuade them to visit Sioux Falls with patience and an open mind!)

I have one more observation worthy of noting, the hotel room. It was nice, it was big, it had a kitchen and I didn’t have to share! Several of the other teachers at the training also commented on this. For someone who works for the government, it is interesting how differently the private sector works. Maybe I’m working for the wrong people!

The last 4-5 days have been a blast! I’m en route to Minneapolis as I write this where, when I arrive I will be checking into my next flight. I leave tonight for Europe and I will arrive in Geneva by 4:45pm local time. If you were wondering, there is a 7 hour difference between the Central Time Zone and Geneva’s – although you won’t be able to call because my phone will be turned off while I’m in Europe.

Here’s a quick little calculation for you: If I left for the Dallas/Fort Worth Airport at 12:45pm and I will arrive in Geneva tomorrow at 4:45pm, how much time have I spent traveling?


Dwight just chillin' with the cool kids.

No comments: