Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
-Mark Twain

Thursday, July 07, 2005

The news out of London...

For the past few days I have found myself daydreaming about being back in London. Between the Live8 concert rocking Hyde Park on Saturday and the announcement of London being the site of the 2012 Summer Olympics, I was convinced that the trip would have been even better if we'd been in London just a couple weeks later. I was really wishing I was there; that was until today.

I was reading an online blog from the UK where readers could e-mail and post their own stories of the events that unfolded and I think it really catches more of the feel for what is going on. Check it out if you're interested in some honest opinons and reactions from the people that were there.

Nightline was just on and I think they posed an interesting question. What were the aims of the terrorists that did this and were they successful? It seems to me that terrorism is always a means to a political end. With the blasts occuring during the G8 summit in Scotland, it makes you think they were trying to say something to the world. My question is how did they want the world to react? How did they want the G8 to react? With the G8's agenda heavily geared toward fighting poverty, not terrorism, were they trying to pull the focus away from the 50,000 people that are dying of starvation each day in Africa? That just doesn't make any sense.

My Dad e-mailed me earlier today with this message: "I am glad you are not in London right now!" I have to say, Dad, me too.

No comments: