Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
-Mark Twain

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

A fight to the bitter end..

So I was out with a few friends last night, and my cell free lifestyle was a hot topic of the evening. I have to say, the discussion that ensued was a little like harassing Tom Daschle supporters the week after he lost the election this fall - cruel. I am currently without phone service until Thursday, so the 5 people that ganged up on me were without mercy. Yes, I understand that it is a huge hassle for everyone else that I haven't followed the herd down the path of the big cellular phone companies' fabricated image of a society that is in need of such immediate and constant communication. To me they are sending the message that you, yes YOU are so important that the here and now... is just not good enough. I know, I know.. but it's not like that at all you say. Yeah, sure.. maybe to you it's not that way, but you're the one getting whisked away into a conversation with someone, so it's no different to you. I dunno.. I suppose at some point I should really get a cell phone, and I say that partly because I'm sick of hearing it from others. I guess the problem is just this: I don't feel that unspoken sense of self-importance that would give me the cause to just do it. (plus, it's still cheaper for me to have a land line)

No comments: